Minutes of the LVRA monthly meeting Monday 11th February 2019

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

Minutes of the Association Meeting: 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 11 February 2019 at the Top Club

Present: Karen Hawden (Chair), David Hempsall (Secretary),Darryl Nugent (Treasurer), Bob Nicholas (Footpaths Officer), David Rhodes (Social Media & Liaison officer); Richard Ball, Derrick Bartlett-Smith, Ian Booth, Ann Corkin, David Corkin, John Dawson, Michael Dop, Cllr David Foxcroft, Roger Fulton, Barbara Gerken, Steve Glenholmes, Marie Hargreaves, Michael Howard, Ken Iveson, Rachael Marsden, Lewis Pearson, Frank Pilkington, David Pilling, Jean Pilling, Jim Riley, Eric Taylor, W Taylor, Eric Walton and Ann White,

Apologies: Cllr Alyson Barnes.

1.        Opening Remarks – Apologies – Thanks

1.1 Karen welcomed all those attending.

1.2 No apologies were presented at the meeting; Alyson had advised of her non-attendance by email, including updates (shown in these Minutes in italics and underlined).

2.        Minutes of previous meeting, 11 January 2019

2.1 Eric proposed and Ken and Lewis seconded acceptance of the Minutes.

2.2 The Minutes were passed nem. con.

3.        Matters Arising

4.4.6Colebrand site:I have asked the site owner to curtail vehicle movements to Colebrand site via Stoneholme Terrace. I have friended him on Facebook – so that I can get to him quickly!

5 100 Club

5.1 Bob had nothing further to report at this stage.

5.4 Race Night – Saturday, 2 March at 20.00 hrs.

5.4.1 Derrick reported that tickets and posters were with Dave Hughes for production; numbers would be limited to 40 attendees.

5.4.2 He outlined the programme: 8 races commencing at 2030 hrs.; bets would be 50p per race and all monies would be paid out; pie and peas would be available at £3.50, ordered on the night.

5.4.3 A £50.00 donation to the CPA would be paid.

5.4.4 Ticket availability would be advertised via social media; tickets would be available from Julie’s sandwich shop and from the CPA.

5.4.5 Derrick was thanked for his fund-raising initiative.

6.3Dog bin:request for a bin at Driving Gate area of Goodshaw Lane has been submitted. 

6.4Debris in Limey from Colebrand site:this has been taken up by planning enforcement; the company has agreed to clear it up. 

4.        Reports
4.1      Chairman

4.1.1 Karen commented on the repairs to the bus shelter; bus drivers were not slowing down to see if anyone was occupying the seats set to the rear of the shelter; buses should be hailed by an outstretched arm in the traditional way!

4.1.2 She had received comment on how snow had resulted in cars being parked on the A682, causing obstruction to slight lines of drivers emerging from both Commercial Street and Goodshaw Lane.

4.1.3 Complaints about traffic flows through Rawtenstall were continuous; this remained a negative when considering further housing on LVRA’s “patch”.

4.2      Secretary

4.2.1 David H reported ongoing positive feedback from the Limey Leader edition distributed before Christmas; he relayed material from the Planning Department to officers as appropriate; he felt that whilst it had been quiet over the Christmas and New Year period, there would be much movement in the year.

4.2.2 In answer to Mrs W Taylor, David said that proposals to develop on the Commercial Street appeared to be in limbo; in an email, Alyson advised that proposals were likely to be put before the February meeting of the Development Control Committee.

4.3      Treasurer/Chairman LVAA

4.3.1 Darryl reported funds as standing at £3,990.49 at bank with £100.00 in cash to hand.

4.3.2 There was little activity at the allotments; recent storms had caused no damage.

4.4      Footpaths Officer

4.4.1 Bob reported on Stoneholme Road: his report is shown in full asAnnex 1.

4.4.2 David C reported on an official-looking sign prohibiting vehicles and motor cycles which appeared to face only in one direction.

4.4.3 Barbara reported on vehicular movement to the building site, observing one-way movement.

4.4.4 Lewis advised that the road had been made up in 1959: it had previously been a narrow track.

4.5      Social Media & Liaison Officer

4.5.1 David R reported 140 using Twitter and 756 on Facebook.

5. St John’s, update

5.1 Rachael said offers for the building were now being fielded by the Churches Conservation Trust.

5.2 The Church of England had appointed a person – as yet unidentified – to consider the future of 8 churches: 5 in Rochdale and 3 in Rossendale – being St Saviour and Christ Church in Bacup and St John’s.

5.3 Preliminary reports suggested that putting St John’s into a decent state of repair would cost £1.2 million; making it watertight would cost less.

5.4 In answer to Richard B who asked what residents could do, Rachael suggested raising awareness of the building’s plight: David sought material from Rachael and her colleagues for a Leader article.

5.5 David F reported on a previous proposal to establish offices (including camouflaged external containers) made by an environmental company which planners had rejected.

6. Goodshawfold Farm, proposed development

6.1 Darryl had received from residents expressions of concern about development beyond proposals to convert three buildings on what had been Donal Paul’s land into four dwellings.

6.2 Barbara said that whilst in principle there was nothing objectionable in the proposal, the road would need enhancement.

6.3 Darryl concurred, adding that making up the road would most likely be a condition laid upon the developer; the issue was not with converting on what was, after all, a brownfield site; the concern lay with possible “creep” in what was a conservation area.

6.4 Barbara had been given to understand that the farmland had been sold to Peter Holt.

6.5 Derrick reminded the meeting that hearsay some years ago had it that the developers of the Penny Lodge estate had omitted to build on the footprint of one planned house to allow a road link north-south.

7. Any Other Business

7.1 Derrick asked if LVRA benefitted financially from LVAA activities; Darryl said not; the allotments were self-financing and any surpluses were ploughed back into upgrading facilities.

7.2 Derrick enquired after the defibrillator battery: Darryl said it had been replaced about 18 months previously; it presently had 25% life and a much improved case (no longer lettered in Welsh!); First Responders had asked LVRA to make a contribution to replacing items but without any obligation so to do.

8. Next Meetings and Close

8.1 20.00 hrs. on Monday, 11 March 2018 at the Top Club.

8.2 Thereafter the now usual pattern of utilising the 2ndMonday of each month will continue, so that subsequent meetings in 2019 are expected to be held as follows: 8 April; 13 May; 10 June; 8 July; 12 August; 9 September; 14 October; 11 November (including AGM); 9 December.

Annex 1 Foothpaths Officer

Returning to the situation I reported on last month: that of Stoneholme Road.

I am pleased to say an answer to the problem of, shall we say, undesirable traffic using this road has been found. Unable to get any satisfaction from Lancashire County Council the residents of Stoneholme Terrace enquired at Killeleas to find out how much of the road they owned. Killeleas confirmed that they owned the road (or the land it is on) some 4 metres past the path known as the Cat’s Steps to the north of the terrace.

After consulting with the residents Killeleas agreed to put a barrier across the road leaving a gap for walkers, horse riders and cyclists. This would comply with footpath law of leaving the path unobstructed. This situation is not unusual. There are a number of examples where landowners have gated roads on their land leaving access for the footpath/bridleway to be continued to be used.

Mindful of the concerns raised at the last meeting regarding the road being an alternative access route for the villagers of Goodshawfold, should Goodshawfold Road be blocked for any reason, it is proposed that the gate will be locked with a combination lock and a copy of the combination will be delivered to all residents in the village area who may require occasional use of Stoneholme Road. I will personally undertake to deliver a flier to each property regarding this matter. At the moment there is no date set for the barrier to be erected but I will report back to the association on developments.

Bob Nicholas

307 total views, 1 views today

Facebook Comments